The early history of
Brierley Hall and Lindley House is hard to trace.
Architectural evidence indicates that the buildings are likely to have a
mid eighteenth century Georgian date. The windows, and some interior
features also suggest an early date.
There is a
date stone set into the North West wall of Lindley House with the
initials L E F and a date of 1730. The initials are those of Edmund &
Frances Lindley, they lived in their new home in Brierley with their son
George. Edmund died there just before 1739. On the 1655 Brierley Manor
Court Roll a Mathew Lindley is named as living at Champney House
Hoyland brother of John Hoyland occupied Lindley House in the early
1800s. He enlarged and improved the house at that time which resulted in
a mixture of building styles.
Brierley Manor Court Roll mentions a John Hoyland of Brearley, one of a
long line of Johns in the family. The surname could indicate that they
came originally from one of the several villages in the area called
As late as
1662 the Lord of Brierley Manor Sir George Savile was the owner of most
of the property in the village of Brierley which included Grimethorpe.
The first privately owned property of any size was Grimethorpe Hall
built by the Seaton family about 1669. George Savile was an absentee
land lord so all his property in the village would be rented out. On a
Manor rental for that year John Hoyland paid £5 rent for Speight farm in
Brierley. There were only six people who paid a higher rent, less than
£1 was the more usual amount. James Dymond paid a Freerent of 1s and 8d.
There were over fifty properties listed on the rental.
highest rentals were paid by Margaret Cawthorne £21 7s 6d most probably
rent for the manor house which overlooks Grimethorpe from its isolated
hill top site. William Speight paid £7rent for the (water) Mill in
Grimethorpe, Henry Shirtliffe the younger £16 4s for a property in New
Park, Richard? Stead the younger and William Thorpe paid £13 10s each
for properties in New Park, which seems to have included most of the
village of Grimethorpe.
On a 1701
Brierley rental the four highest rentals paid were, John Cawthorne £42
(for the Manor House?) John Hoyland £40, William Cawthorne for Ann £25
10s and John Marshall £24 13s for property in Grimethorpe. Was John
Hoyland’s high rent for an enlargement of Speight farm into a mansion?
Most other properties in the village had a rent of under £5 some much
less. The well established Dymond family are not listed on this and
later rentals so must have owned their own property by this time.
Then in the
1720 Brierley rental John Cawthorne paid £43 13 4d, John Hoyland paid
£38, William Cawthorne £25 and William Medley paid £24 13s for
properties in Brierley. Most other rents were well under £10. These
rents were paid twice in the year.
In his will
dated 20 May 1731 this same John Hoyland refers to his own
property in Brierley as a Dwelling House with Gardens and an Orchard,
this is the first mention of the building now known as Brierley Hall.
John Hoyland could have rented a large house on the site of Brierley
Hall then bought the property before his 1731 will, and rebuilt it in
the Georgian style at that time.
census has John Hoyland aged 45 of independent means at the large house
in Brierley that was to become known as Brierley Hall. Living with him
were Mary his wife 45, and his son John 9, this son John then went
on to be a student at Oxford. In 1860 he was inducted as Vicar of
Felkirk and became the Rev John Hoyland of Felkirk. He retired as vicar
of Felkirk in 1874 to live at Brierley Hall. His father John Hoyland had
died at the end of 1872.
On the 1841
census Robert Hoyland is described as being a solicitor aged 44 with his
wife Elizabeth aged 39. Robert Hoyland’s daughter Sarah married Godfrey
Cordeux of Barnsley who became the curate of Brierley. His father
was a Barnsley linen manufacture. The family continued to live at
Lindley house following the death of Robert, and the corner on which the
house stands became known as Cordeux Corner.
John Hoyland had three daughters Alice, Clare, & Fanny all born in the
1860s. They attended a boarding school in London and were still
unmarried and living at home in 1901. His two sons were Clement Edward
born 1870 and John Henry born 1872. John Henry Hoyland is not mentioned
again after the 1881 census, he was at home with the family at Brierley
Hall that year.
Clement Edward Hoyland was educated at a boarding school near Doncaster
and became a mining engineer, he built a house at Brierley Gap
(A Gap is a crossing point on a watershed. In
this case it is between the rivers Don and Calder valleys) in
1903 but sold out and left Brierley in 1911
(see history of Brierley Gap). At the time of the 1911
census Clement was staying at the Grange Hotel Grange Over Sands
Lancashire with his wife Louise Eddie. Louise was born in Forres near
Inverness, they were married in 1895. Clement could have been living in
Barrow in Furness in 1903 as he deposited some legal papers relating to
the Hoyland family with Hart Jackson & Sons Solicitors of Ulverstone in
their Barrow office that year. In a 1925 directory Clement Edward
Hoyland is listed as the owner occupier
of Brinkworth Hall, Elvington, York.
Edith Mary Cordeux
Sidney Oldall Addy who was the brother to Roland
Roland Addy was the son of James Jenkins Addy
a colliery manager from Ecclesall Shefield
James Jenkins Addy
Lindley House &
Mrs D M Beaumont Schofield
in the grounds
of Lindley House
John Hoyland died in 1910; his widow Mary and daughter Alice went to
live in a house overlooking the Stray in Harrogate.
Hall passed to Alphonse Wood in 1911. He was born in 1880 in Barnsley.
He was the son of Alphonse Wood a Cut Glass Manufacturer who was born
1843 of British parents in Baccaval, Meurthe, France, close to the town
1916 the Hodroyd Coal Company became the owners. Captain Roland Addy
became the managing director of the Hodroyd Coal Company, and lived with
his family at Brierley Hall. He purchased the Hall from the coal
company to avoid losing it in the coming 1948 nationalisation of the
coal industry. He had extended Brierley Hall, by having the North West
wing built; this was in the same stone as the older Georgian style
section. Roland Addy was the son of James Jenkins Addy a colliery
manager from Ecclesall Shefield. He was born in 1893 at Hodroyd Hall
Felkirk but the family soon moved on to Osbourne House Monk Bretton.
Osbourne House is a Georgian House standing in its own tree enclosed
grounds close to the Sun Inn.
The hall was
sold by Roland Addy to Hemsworth Rural District Council in August 1948.
Mary Cordeux daughter of Godfrey Pigot
Cordeux lived at Lindley house until
her death in April 1926. Henry Herbert Taylor Burbury JP a retired linen
manufacturer from Crigglestone was the next occupant. He was there at
the time of the 1936 edition of Kelly’s West Riding Directory. Dr. Ross
Gardener and his family lived there until 1960. Mrs. D. M. Beaumont
Schofield a well known Conservative candidate for Brierley Town Council
was at Lindley House until her quite recent death.