a small village 5.5 miles north east of Barnsley South Yorkshire that
contains 2610 acres of land, the 'ley at the end of its name suggesting
that Brierley was an early Saxon settlement. The population in 1999
stood at 2150, and the local authority is the Barnsley Metropolitan
Borough Council, Town Hall Barnsley, telephone 01226 770770.
village is represented by three Ward Councillor's namely, Alex Vodden,
Arthur Whittaker who is also currently serving as Barnsley Town Mayor
and Chris Skye's who is at present serving as Brierley Town Council
people of the village have also decided (September 2000) to form a
Brierley Community Partnership with May Beaumont Schofield of Lindley
House being the acting chairperson.
small Post office, greengrocer, off licence, hairdressers, fish shop,
doctor's surgery, two vehicle repair centres, vets beauty salon, and
shoe shop service the village at the present day. There are three places
of worship, namely St Paul's Church, the Methodist Chapel and the
Spiritualist Church, which are all in close proximity on Church Street.
The Primary school on Beech Close admits children from 5 to 11 years and
Mr Reid is the Headmaster while Willowgarth High School, situated at
the top of the hill between Brierley and Grimethorpe admits pupils from
11 to 16 years and Mr Dorney is the Head.
village is also served by Brierley Social club, the Three Horse Shoes
public house, the Robin Hood public house at Brierley Gap, and Burntwood
Sports and Leisure Centre that is situated on Brierley Common and
offers bed & breakfast facilities with a restaurant for special
occasions. The sports centre bar is better known as the Nite Owl.
back from the main road on Church Street (formerly known as Town Street
before the Church was built in 1869), between the Brierley Methodist
Church and St. Paul's C of E Church, is Brierley Hall. The Hall is a
grade two listed building, early 19th century with later additions. It
is stone with a slated roof, and has stone and brick stacks. There are
two and three storey sections, with sash windows and corbelled eaves.
There is a canted bay on the west of the main block. The main block has
a five-window front. The later wing to the left has a three-window front
and was added in the early twentieth century by Captain Roland Addy. The
upper floor included a music room with a sprung dance floor. Although
this room is now carpeted and used as offices by the Brierley Social
Services Home care team, you can still feel the spring in your step as
you walk across it. The windows have moulded ashlar surrounds. Hemsworth
Rural District Council who purchased the Hall from Rowland Addy In 1948
for £8750 also purchased the land nearby known as
from the representatives of Robert Dymond (d 1960) for £1800 and an
incongruous modern brick extension was added to the South.
Hall taken in September 2000 showing the incongruous modern
brick extension added in the early 1960s by Hemsworth Rural
District Council. (Photograph Baipip).
The Hall on the
3rd June 1938.The buntings were for the reception, after the
wedding of Mr William Wilde of Sheffield to Dorothy May Ross
Gardener (the eldest daughter of Lieut - Colonel W Ross
Gardener, chief medical officer of health to the Hemsworth Rural
District Council) of Red Gables, Church Street Brierley, where
Captain Roland Addy, the owner of the hall at this time and also
the Managing Director of Brierley Colliery, proposed a toast to
the bride and groom.
the West Riding Registry of Deeds there is a record (Ref. Book NN page
100 No 83) of a transfer of land and a house on the site from Robert
Hoyland to his brother John Hoyland of Brierley dated 15 October 1836.
Robert Hoyland at this time was living at Lindley House (spelt without a
(d) in earlier periods) that was then known as Brierley Hall. John
Hoyland built the Hall on its present site. There is also at the West
Riding Registry of Deeds a record of the Will of Rev. John Hoyland (Ref.
Vol. 2 (1910) page 806 No 298) of Brierley who died on the 24th March
1910 this being the son of the above-mentioned John Hoyland, it also
lists his home in Brierley with other properties.
Reverend John Hoyland retired in 1874 after being the vicar at Felkirk
for 14 years, and in 1910 after his death, his widow Mary Ann Hoyland
went to stay in Harrogate. In 1912 she sold Brierley Hall to Alphonse
Wood who was described as a glass manufacturer. An Alphonse Wood whose
family were owners of Woods Glassworks Hoyle Mill Barnsley had died in
1909. The Alphonse Wood of Brierley could have been from the same
stay in Brierley however was short lived and in 1916 the Hodroyd Coal
Company of whom Captain Roland Addy had become Managing Director bought
Brierley Hall for £2800. There is a little confusion at this point and
it is not quite clear whether Captain Addy owned the property as
managing director of the coal company, or whether it was jointly owned,
however in 1945 there was a change of government to Labour that led to
the Nationalisation of coal in 1948.
1946 Captain Addy seems to have bought out the Hodroyd Company's share
in the Hall to avoid losing his home. On Nationalisation in 1948 he
decided to retire to Oliver's Mount Scarborough and in August that year
sold the Hall for £8750 to Hemsworth Rural District Council. With
changes in local government on the 1st April 1972 Brierley Hall passed
to Barnsley Metropolitan Borough Council.
present (2002) the building is occupied by;
Social Services who deal with families and individuals with social and
family problems team leader is Sharon Cook.
and Inspection unit that deals with the registrations and inspections of
Residential care homes the Principal officer is Brian Berry.
Care Services who are available for people who need care and support to
be able to stay in their own homes the Domiciliary Care Managers are
Kath Smith and Ken Latham.
Start are a training team aimed at raising attainment in the early years..
and Humberside Fire Brigade Union.
is also a facility available once a week for the local residents to pay
their rent and rates. The local councillor's and MP use the building on
a regular basis to hold their Surgeries.
council chambers are also still in use and meetings are still held by
members of the local Labour party and other local groups. The council
chambers can be hired for meetings by prior arrangement with your local
councillor's or by contacting the Town Hall superintendent on Barnsley 01226 778301.